Dr. Aaron L. Smith, the founder of Workplace Readiness Solutions, is an expert with STEM and workplace readiness and is known around the world for his work. He assists schools, company leaders and communities work together to develop and sustain a pipeline of competent and job-ready employees.
A 2008 graduate of Old Dominion University with a Doctorate in Educational Leadership, Dr. Aaron L. Smith has over two decades of experience in the classroom as a mathematics teacher and administrator.
Aaron has developed a passion for workplace readiness and STEM where he has shared his knowledge as an adjunct professor at Old Dominion University and Christopher Newport University.
Highlights from his career
- Awarded over three-quarters of a million dollars and grants
- Receiving many honors such as the ING Unsung Hero, the WHRO Technology Administrator Award, and the Crystal Star Award from the National Dropout Prevention Center.
- Earning the coveted State Partnership Award from the Virginia Department of Education, hosting a live downlink with the astronauts on board the International Space Station
- Becoming a PRIME School by the Society of Manufactured Engineers Education Foundation.
Some of his published works
- Daily Press (June 11, 2019) Aviation Academy students get nod to build equipment for space station
- Daily Press (December 28, 2018) Newport News Aviation Academy Receives Donated Plane
- Catcat.com (December 27, 2018) The Importance of STEM In Our World
- Teachthought.com (March 18, 2018) Sleeping Giants: 4 Under Appreciated Factors of School Improvement
- Virginia Capitol Connections (Summer 2017) Denbigh Aviation Academy Files Flight Plan for Future Careers10-11
- Daily Press (June 27, 2017) Imagination Taking Flight
- Daily Press (June 23, 2017) Drones Take Off at Aviation Academy at Newport News Airport
- Daily Press (May 26, 2017) After Delays, Aviation Academy’s Plane Taking Shape
- Daily Press (December 20, 2016) US Air Force captain talks to Denbigh students about aviation opportunities for women
- Daily Press (April 23, 2016) Thunderbirds Motivate Aviation Academy
- Manufacturing Engineering (January 2016) - At the Aviation Academy: Attitude = Altitude. Workforce Pipeline 110-111
- Daily Press (December 5, 2015) - Denbigh High School Aviation Academy touts wind tunnel upgrade plans
- Smartblog.com (11.19.15)What makes a great STEM school?
- Smartblog.com (10.22.15)A blueprint that makes for a better employee — a call to action
- Newport News Public Schools (June 24, 2015) NASA and Denbigh High School Earn State Partnership Award from the Virginia Department of Education
- Society of Manufactured Engineers Website (June 23, 2015)- MFGis the Future: Dr. Aaron Smith
Author of Two Books
Awakening Your STEM School: 44 Ideas and Actions for Educators, More than 300 Tips for Success
If you're serious about STEM Education, then you need to get this book. It will show you how to change your school into an elite STEM Center.
Blank Check: Recreating America's Broken Schools
Readers will be inspired by observing the transformation in action around the question, 'if you had a blank check, what would you do differently to transform public schools?' This narrative gives young readers an inspirational opportunity to view critical thinking in action and empathize with the struggles of public education.
His proudest achievement is being married to his wife and being a dad to his three kids who challenge him to reach for the stars every day.
Aaron is committed to excellence and through his innovative approach, he delivers fresh and results-driven success that separates him everyone else in the business. By using an analytical approach combined with his extensive background in education gives him the ability to be a catalyst in the industry.
Whether you work in a school division, college or trade school, workforce development center, company or government, Workplace Readiness Solutions will deliver a specific solution based upon your needs.